Friday, January 22, 2010

Movie Friday: Mame



Okay, so this movie isn't from the 50s or 60s, it's from the 70s.  It's still a great movie.  I haven't watched it in years, but it is a great movie.  I should have recorded it off the classic movie channel...instead, I just bought it on half.com.

I know that there are different versions of this movie, including versions where Mame was played by Rosalind Russell and Angela Lansbury, but today I want to share the version that Lucille Ball made in 1974.

Anyway, I have always been a Lucy fan, and I wasn't disappointed when I saw this film.  It also features Bea Arthur, and the two make an unforgettable pair!

Here's what the YouTube poster had to say about the film (by the way the above is the first segment of the film, the whole thing is on YouTube.  I was unable to find the trailer for it.):

"The musical revolves around the antics of Mame Dennis, a fun-loving, wealthy eccentric with a flare for life and a razor sharp wit. Her life is suddenly changed when she becomes the guardian of her late brother's only child, Patrick Dennis. Her adventures take us from the speak-easies of the roaring 20's to the depression following the great Stock Market crash. She is rescued by a wealthy Southern plantation owner, marries and is widowed suddenly, and through it all, manages to keep things under control. With some help from her dearest friend, Vera Charles, she helps keep things at 3 Beekman Place a rousing free-for-all."

Have a great Friday!

2 comments:

  1. While this was a fun movie, I would have to say that Rosalind Russell made the best Mame. Of course I love everything she ever did, including donning the nun's habit. And BTW, I love your new furniture arrangement. What a sweet little house you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% with Christine! Rosalind Russell was the BEST Mame Dennis, hands down! If You havent seen it it was shot in the 50's and the Way R.R. plays the character I wish she was My 'auntie' :) "Lifes a banquet, and some poor fools are starving to death!" Wonderful movie, goodpick! I will be watchign tonight~!

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.