Friday, January 14, 2011

Movie Friday: Cinderella

Okay, I'll admit it, this one is for Mick.  His theatre's next production is Cinderella, and he's been quite busy.  With just what, well, that's for him to tell you.  However, through my best attempts to keep this thing out of my mind, I have had Cinderella in the back of my mind all week.  I've been blasting Mick back (he keeps sending me YouTube video clips of Cinderella) with vintage No Doubt music videos.  Spiderwebs, anyone?

Anyway, here's the Disney animated classic, Cinderella.


My research shows that the story most likely originated in classical antiquity.  The oldest known version of the story was recorded by a Greek historian in the 1st century BC.  How's that for a classic tale?

Disney's movie is set upon the work of Charles Perrault, whose version of the story was titled Cendrillon.  Perrault added the elements of the pumpkin, glass slippers, and fairy-godmother in 1697.  He based his work on the much earlier versions of the story, most notably the story of Cenerentola, which was written by a Neopolitan soldier and government official by the name of Giambattista Basile in 1634.  However, as I said before, the original premise for the tale dates to at least 1st century BC Greece, not 17th century France.  It is a classic tale that has spanned more than 2000 years.  I don't see it fading into history any time soon.

Disney released it's animated version in 1950, and it starred Ilene Woods as the voice of Cinderella.  You can read all about the Disney version of the film here.

As a follow-up to my post yesterday, I think my big thing with not being interested in anything vintage lately is because I have so much of it.  I have gone through my house purging items that I don't want, and have too many boxes full of stuff to sell.  I'm keeping my favorite stuff, donating good usable non-vintage items to Salvation Army (do you know how weird it is to walk into the Salvation Army Thrift Store and see your former items sitting out for sale?) and preparing the rest of it to sell in a booth.  I think this need to clear out the extra stuff is why I'm not feeling the vintage vibe right now.  I also feel that I have spent way too much money on vintage things lately, and it needs to be reined in.  It's not that I don't still love vintage, I just need to redirect it towards getting things the way that I want them.  That said, I did go out junking yesterday on my 3rd snow day (I HAD to get out of the house) and I found a few fun things that I will share soon.

Anyway, have a great Friday!  It's my first day back after an unexpected and unwanted 3 days off, so the kids should be wired.  Glad their parents will get to have them over the weekend.  Of course the downside of all of this is that all scheduled vacation days from now through March are gone.  Ever see a teacher in late March that hasn't had a break since Christmas?  It isn't a pretty site!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.