Monday, January 16, 2012

Minny's Chocolate Pie



Anybody who has either read the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett, or watched the movie made from the book, knows that the whole thing hinges on a chocolate pie made by a maid named Minny.

A quick search on the internet turned up the recipe used to make all of the 53 different pies baked for the filming of the movie.  You can see it here.

So, having never baked a pie in my life, I set out for the store yesterday afternoon to gather the required ingredients (what single guy keeps unsalted butter and evaporated milk in his house?)

Anyway, it gave me a chance to give my pink Pyrex pie plate a feature role in this production, with supporting roles played by primary green, red, and blue bowls.

The end result was absolutely incredible.  We always make chocolate pudding pies in my family (which I love) but this was so different.  The scent of the pie filled up the house and waiting for it to cool so we could cut into it was nothing short of torture.  I give this recipe 5 stars (if I can make it and have it turn out so well, surely anybody can!).  Be sure to check it out through the link above.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I'm very impressed that you tackled a homemade pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no you didn't! First thing Monday morning to hit us with such a delicious pie. Sigh. I will be dreaming of breaking my diet all day. Impressive is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks awesome! "with supporting roles played by primary green, red, and blue bowls." - ha! love that!

      Delete
  3. Cannot wait to try this out! And in the Pink Pyrex it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! Don't stop now, keep on baking. Here is a link to a cookbook on pie baking that I really enjoyed reading, because it is filled with great stories about the pie bakers:

    http://www.amazon.com/Sweety-Pies-Uncommon-Collection-Observations/dp/1561588482

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.