Friday, June 25, 2010

Movie Friday: How Green Was My Valley


I apologize for being rushed to create today's post.  I've had this award winning 1941 movie picked out for quite a while, but now that the time has come, I can't thoroughly research it.  Thankfully the YouTube poster did, so below is a copy of the information that was included with the video.

"This story of a Welsh valley's turn-of-the-century descent from pristine paradise to despoiled coal mining region, is told in flashback form by Huw Morgan, an old man who has decided to leave the valley forever. Huw is the youngest in a family of 6 brothers and 1 sister and the film centers on his struggle toward manhood amid conflicting demands of faith, economics, education and family loyalty in a Wales caught in an irreversible shift from a pastoral to an industrialized society. The story, based on the novel by Richard Llewellyn, is accented by an impressive background of Welsh choral music and quaint patterns of speech. Written by Joe Jurca"
 

[IMDB.COM]

Release: 28 October 1941
Running Time: 118 min
Awards: Won 5 Oscars. Another 3 wins & 5 nominations
Producer: Darryl F. Zanuck
Director: John Ford
Writer: Philip Dunne
Cast: Walter Pidgeon (Mr. Gruffydd), Maureen O'Hara (Angharad), Anna Lee (Bronwyn), Donald Crisp (Mr. Morgan)
Genre: Drama, Family

2 comments:

  1. Masterpiece Theater did a production of this story, too, and it was awesome. I'd love to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I came across you web-page while doing some research. I have a copy of a book How Geen Was My Valley signed by the original cast.
    I had a great, great uncle who was in it's cast. I'm looking to sell this book. Any suggestions?
    Moira - Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.