Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Quest Continues

I have been searching for a great 1950s sofa or sofa / chair set for at least a year now.  Still haven't found what I want in the price range I'm considering.  In my perfect world, it would be a set manufactured by Kroehler.

Last weekend, I took a full car load to Salvation Army.  Of course, I couldn't drop things off without taking a look in the store!  The first thing I saw when I walked in the door was a glimpse of green upholstery.  That great nubby mid-century fabric.  My heart skipped a beat!  So, I went over, looked at the set, and after really considering it, decided to pass.  It had it's original upholstery which was not torn, but it was dusty and faded.  Lifting the cushions on the couch, there was the tag I was looking for "Kroehler".  Sigh.  The couch cushion was a little saggy, but the chair was pretty good.  The price was great: $65 for the set.  But, when I looked at it more closely, I decided that the set was probably from the late 1940s or very early 1950s.  The back and front were more rounded that I wanted.  Although it was a difficult choice to make, I left it to hopefully find a loving home from another mid-century freak.


I already have a couple of chairs in the style I'm looking for, and if I could find a sofa to go with them, that would be the best solution.

Here's the style I'm looking for:


The pinkish chair on the left is Kroehler.  The brownish purple chair on the right I'm not sure about right now.  Still, you can clearly see the style difference between these chairs and the green set above.  The quest continues!

10 comments:

  1. Where is the world is that salvation army? There is nothing like that in the stores around here, esp in that price! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them!But I understand walking away.The "right" one is out there for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kroehler is wonderful. I love it. I wish I could find more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I once owned the furniture you want. Back around 1978, when I graduated from college and got an apartment, my dad found a couch and chair in the more chiselled style you are looking for. The nubby fabric was brown with tiny silver threads in it, which made it glisten. It was beautiful, and fit right in with the browns and oranges that were the style at the time. It wasn't very comfortable to sit on, but you could take a good nap on the couch. He paid about $60 for the set, and we moved it in the big Plymouth Fury family station wagon. I used it for four years, then gave it to my brother who used it for a few years, and then it was sold at a yard sale. Maybe it will turn up in Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those chairs. I had a swivel rocker years ago that was in much the same style and with the same brown fabric that JKaye mentioned. It was so comfy, I really miss that old chair. I got rid of it before I ever knew what mid-century was. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabric is called Frieze, pronounced:
    Free-zay. If you found a set you like you could consider reupholstery, though I understand the fabric runs around $100 a yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I can see the difference and why you hesitated. I like the bottom two....more angular looks more comfortable too.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry- the right set is out there somewhere! Just think...it's somewhere...right now...maybe forgotten in a basement or sitting in another thrift shop...waiting for you to come rescue it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh it's always hard to walk away isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel your pain! I have been searching for an angular mid mod couch set for years! I will forever rue the day I passed up a set when I was in high school. Darn not owning a truck! Hopefully Kansas City will reward my searching soon!

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.