Sunday, November 14, 2010

Quidditch World Cup

Am I the only insane Harry Potter nerd around the vintage blogging world, or do I have companions that I don't know about yet?

My obsession began when I was in high school and the first three Harry Potter books had been banned from the middle school library and transferred to the high school library.  For all of you book banning fans out there: there is no better way to make a person (child, teen or adult) want to read a book than to ban it.

At the time they appeared in the high school library, I was a library assistant, and of course I wanted to know what all of the fuss was about.  What I discovered was an amazing story of a boy with a difficult childhood finding that it was okay to be unique in the world and even sacrifice yourself for others.  The setting (a school of magic) was second to the story line.  It just made things more interesting.

Perhaps one of the most exciting parts of the early books was the great Wizarding game, Quidditch.  Well, today I discovered that we muggles (non-magic people) have reinvented the sport so that we may play it (we can't, after all, fly on broomsticks).  Looks like it would be great sport to watch.  So, next year, I want to attend the 2011 Quidditch World Cup!  You can read all about this year's World Cup here.

3 comments:

  1. LOL

    I had finally read the first 3 (only, at the time) books after wondering what all the fuss was about, and was approached by my brother, who was a church pastor at the time, asking me why I would read books about witchcraft. We had kind of a funny conversation about it and finally he said he would read the first one for himself. That's all it took. He's a pretty open minded guy. After that he was able to answer members of his congregation who were living in fear that their children would be turned into witches if they read one of the books.

    You know that half the problem was a satirical article in The Onion about it? (Of course that's the only kind of article The Onion does.) It got quoted out of context and circulated and scared a lot of people who thought it was for real. Let me see if I can find a link.... Yep, here it is:

    http://www.theonion.com/articles/harry-potter-books-spark-rise-in-satanism-among-ch,2413/

    Unbelievable... and yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. although i am quite a bit older than you, i am a HUGE HP fan. trying to figure out when i can go see the new movie and if i might have time to read the 7th book for the 4th time before i do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan too. I bought the first three books for my daughter when she was in 6th grade and got hooked on them myself. Her 6th grade teacher thought they were such great books she gave each of the kids in the class a copy for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.