Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hector the Collector

When I was just a little tyke in elementary school, my teacher had a copy of Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings."  My favorite poem of all time came from this book, titled Boa Constrictor.  I'll have to share it sometime, but today, I want to share one that I feel is fitting to many of us retro loving people, Hector the Collector.

Hector the Collector
From “Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings”
By Shel Silverstein

Hector the Collector
Collected bits of string,
Collected dolls with broken heads
And rusty bells that would not ring.
Pieces out of picture puzzles,
Bent-up nails and ice cream sticks,
Twists of wires, worn-out tires,
Paper bags and broken bricks,
Old chipped vases, half shoelaces,
Gatlin’ guns that wouldn’t shoot,
Leaky boats that wouldn’t float
And stopped-up horns that wouldn’t toot.
Butter knives that had no handles,
Copper keys that fit no locks,
Rings that were too small for fingers,
Dried-up leaves and patched up socks,
Worn-out belts that had no tracks,
Airplane models, broken bottles,
Three-legged chairs and cups with cracks.
Hector the Collector
Loved these things with all his soul
Loved them more than shining diamonds,
Loved them more than glistenin’ gold.
Hector called to all the people,
“Come and share my treasure trunk!”
And all the silly sightless people
Came and looked … and called it junk.

Have a great Saturday.  It's Truman Days here, celebrating the birthday of President Truman.  My church is hosting a 5K Run/Walk, so I'm up early to help out.  Lots of craft booths will be set up as well, and I'm planning on walking with the candidate I'm supporting for district representative to hand out information during the parade.  Another busy day!  I don't know what I'd do with myself if my Saturday wasn't full!

1 comment:

  1. This is fitting, you post this and Iv just gotten back from an Estate sale! haha

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.