Thursday, November 5, 2009

Toilet Replacement

I have been spending some time looking at new toilets, trying to find something that might be appropriate for use in a mid-century bathroom.  I am perfectly happy with the pink Universal Rundle in my bathroom, but I am aware that some people would probably like the efficiency of a new model toilet with a design appropriate for a mid-century bath.  Pam over at Retro Renovation (see the link in my blogroll) has done several toilet posts in the past.

Today, while looking at new toilets online, I found that, in my opinion, new toilets are hideous.  Almost every model that I saw was overly curvy, with rounded tanks that all looked the same.  No individuality there.  The toilets that I found that were vintage styled were all Victorian type styles, also not appropriate.  My goal in this search: find a new toilet with a square shaped tank that had visual proportions to balance out the bowl.  In all of my searching I found one toilet that I feel may be appropriate.



Meet the Eljer Savoy.  I feel like the lines of this toilet would work well for a mid-century feeling.  At least I don't think it would stick out like a sore thumb.  It doesn't have a lot of detailing, which made toilets from the 1950s and 1960s so interesting, but it also lacks a rounded tank and has a simple, clean design. 

According to the Eljer website it has the following features:

  • 1.6 Gallons (6 Liters) of Water Per Flush
  • Available in Elongated-Rim and Plain-Rim
  • Close-Coupled, Two-Piece Toilet
  • Siphon Vortex Bowl and Shelf-Top Tank
  • Fully Glazed 2" Trapway
  • 12" Rough-In
My favorite feature?  The estimated list price is $138 - $168.  You can see Eljer's website and more pictures of it here.

The toilet really reminds me of the American Standard pictured below.  American Standard must have made this toilet for many years, as I see it in homes from the 1960s, 1970s, and my 1981 mobile home that I owned in college before buying the Cul-de-sac Shack even had a toilet like this in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.