Sunday, February 7, 2010

Retro Shopping in Grandma's Attic

I feel like I had a really successful Saturday!  After enjoying sleeping in until 9:30, I called the flea market that I visited last Saturday to see if they still had the Kroehler chair that I saw when I was over there.  I was pleased when the store owner told me that it was still there.  I told him that I'd take it and I would be over in about an hour.  He was nice enough to take the tag off it and hold it in case someone else wanted to buy it.  Sometimes you just can't beat the great people that you find in small towns.  Anyway, by 11:00 Saturday morning I was the proud owner of that great pinkish-tan chair!  It's currently in my storage unit as I can't put it in the house until I take the bed out of that room.

Then, I went over to my Grandma's house and was thinking about a piece of retro artwork that used to hang in her living room.  It took me a second to remember that it was in her attic, where Granddad put it after it lost it's place of prominence above the sofa to the large Precious Moments limited edition artwork.

I asked Grandma about it and got the standard - anything up there you want, you can have (I knew this would be her reply, but it is always best to ask first).  So, up to the attic I ventured, and out came this vintage metal leaf / branch sculpture.  I always loved this thing when I was a kid.  Now, it is going to once again be prominently displayed, this time above my sofa.

I think that the colors are perfect for the living room.  I rearranged the living room again and feel like I have come up with the perfect layout.  When I got it set up this way, it just felt like home.  The sofa is now back on the short wall, leaving the perfect place for the copper-tone leaf thing.  I just need to do a little cleaning - it has between 15 - 20 years of dust accumulation on the back.  That much dust doesn't just wipe off.  Thankfully when Granddad put it in the attic, he put it up there with the face down!

Stay tuned tomorrow, it's give-away time!

Have a great Sunday!

8 comments:

  1. Michael,

    That is beautiful! Does it have any markings on it?

    Have a wonderful rest-of-weekend.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I haven't been able to locate any markings on it anywhere. I'm not even sure when Grandma got it. I'll have to ask her sometime. I'm sure she's had it quite a while though, she will turn 90 this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's pretty coo. I have a similar metal bird wall hanging & love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky you are to have some of your Grandma's things hanging on your wall. That is really a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh, does this mean that you're also next in line for the Precious Moments piece?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm not really big into Precious Moments like Grandma. I will be getting a few figurines from her someday when she passes, because she has labeled each figuring with a piece of tape identifying who gave it to her. Each figurine is to go back to the person who gave it to her. My guess is that the picture will either go to one of my aunts or my cousin in Chicago who made the arrangements to get the picture for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, you got the chair! What a great piece your grandmothers (im guessing copper?) Leaf sculpture. My mom has 2 matching meatal "rose" sconces like that hanging in the hallway. Cant wait to see the new layout of the living room!(or prehaps with your french Provincial furniature its now a "sitting room"?)

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.