I now know that I can become a great mid-century handyman! How, you may ask? Well, I have a copy of the Better Homes and Gardens Handyman's Book! I can do it all, now! Now I can do all of the following things, thanks to this wonderful book, first printed in 1951 (although my copy dates to 1957).
1. Use hand tools!
2. Use power tools!
3. Select appropriate building materials!
4. Comprehend many different methods of fastening things together!
5. Keep up to date on the most appropriate finishing techniques!
6. Take care of my home's plumbing and wiring issues!
7. Finish walls and lay many types of flooring!
8. Add windows and doors - wherever I want them! (Door in the ceiling? I can do that now!)
9. All of the exterior repairs and yardwork projects that any mid-century homeowner could desire!
10. Design my own household furniture and storage pieces!
11. I can now even care for my automobile and bicycle!
So, if you need something done, give me a ringy-dingy (as Lily Tomlin would say in character as Ernestine) and I'll grab my handyman book, my tool box, and be on my way over to really making a mess of things!
Oh, how I wish there was a good way to put sarcasm into written form. It is a pretty neat book even with my poking fun at it.