Monday, October 25, 2010

I Love Three Day Weekends!



Thanks to having Parent-Teacher Conferences until almost 8:30 Thursday evening, school was closed on Friday.  I love getting to sleep in on Friday and Saturday!

I spent Friday afternoon and part of my day Saturday at some estate auctions.  The auction season is going to start winding down before too long, so I'm trying to get my fix in before it's over.  The sale of the year is next Saturday, and I have my eye on a few things there.  It's going to bring a big crowd as it is full of antiques (the lady was 96 years old, had lived in the house since she married, and it had been in her husband's family a long time before they married).  The house has been in the same family since it was built, I believe, and many of the pieces in the house have been there long before the lady the sale is for lived in it.  Sadly, the lady had no children, and the amazing things in her estate will be scattered to the wind.  We'll see if I'm successful in getting the three things that I'm interested in.  I've been saving up my pennies for a long time.

This past weekend, I picked up a few pieces.  The above lamp is between 3 and 4 feet tall.  I love the style.  The good: great style and I picked it up for $1.  The bad: the lady that owned it was a smoker (not that there is anything wrong with that) and it has a strong smoke smell.  Not sure how to tackle removing the smell from the shade.  Any ideas?


Can anybody tell me what these bottles are for?  They have glass stoppers in the top.  The one on the left has gold and turquoise cats on it.  They are almost sickeningly cute.  Not really my style.  The one on the right has a great turquoise and gold spear / arrow type design.  I much prefer the more geometric style of this piece.  They were sold as a pair for $1.50.


This little Hazel Atlas bowl did not look like this when I bought it.  The design had turned a green/black color.  Thanks to Bar Keepers Friend, it now looks like it did when it was new.


And of course, there were a few pieces of Pyrex to pick up as well.  This yellow 2 1/2 quart square bowl was a must.


Two 8 1/2 inch pie plates were on the list to pick up as well.  This is my first piece of pink Pyrex.  I have several pieces of the lime green.  It is one of my favorite Pyrex colors.


Two small Pyrex dinnerware bowls.  One blue and one gray.


Lastly, the above Mod Kitchen 1 1/2 quart casserole came in the mail last week.  It is the first thing that I have purchased from the online Goodwill auction site.  It was filthy when it arrived, with baked on food on the outside.  However, a good soaking and a good scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend made it look like new!

So, did any of you get any great finds over the weekend?

6 comments:

  1. My Stinky Cigarette Cure:

    Vacuum the shade to remove any loose debris (use the brush attachment). Then:

    Get a huge trash bag and a lot of newspapers. Start crumpling newspapers. Make a thick layer in the bottom of the bag, let the shade on it, then fill the shade loosely with crumpled newspaper, with more around the outside between it and the bag, and finally more paper above it, then tie the bag tightly. Leave it in the garage for about a week.

    Open it up, take all the paper out and DESTROY IT, it will be gross. This may be all you need, but if there's still a smell, repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Might as well wipe down the lamp itself with a cloth dampened in vinegar solution and then do the same with it, as wood soaks up smoke smell just as nicely as does fabric, only it's more tenacious about keeping it in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, another thing I like to do with gummed-up old oven glassware is to spray it with oven cleaner and close it up in a plastic bag for a couple of days. (Are we seeing a trend here? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get a new shade. It's not an unusual shape or style. But if you try Maria's tip, let us know if it works!

    Hope you find a lot of deals, sad all the woman's possessions are being sold off, but whatever you get, it will go to a good home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice lamp. maybe those glass containers are for some kind of liquior? SQUARE BOWL PYREX?! My mind =BLOWN! the pink and green look good together My mom has on in red that she uses to 'bread' chicken fried stake in. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the Mod casserole, so funky! The yellow and black combo is striking!

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.