Tuesday, January 5, 2010

1956 Frigidaire Kitchen of the Future



Today I'm sharing a video I found which combines two classic 1950s videos.  The first part of the video is a promotional video of a futuristic kitchen by Frigidaire.  GM produced this video for their 1956 Motorama.  I love the glass dome oven, the round refrigerator, the drop down mixer, well, the whole thing really.

The second part of the video showcases the classic Monsanto "House of the Future" which was located in Tomorrowland at Disneyland.  What a great showcase for the use of plastics!  This video was produced in 1957.  Too bad the Monsanto house is no longer with us!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, irradiated foods -- yum!

    In 1958 my parents took us to Disneyland and I got to see this Monsanto house just after it opened. Even as a 7-year-old I fell in love with it -- as an antidote to my mother's pervasive Early American Colonial decorating. Ever afterward I was jealous of my friends with midcentury modern houses.

    But the thing I remember impressing me most in the Monsanto house was the bathroom, which I've never seen any promotional videos of. I guess that was considered poor taste for an industrial film at the time. It was huge, with sunken step-down showers and vast expanses of vanities.

    Sure wish Disney had preserved more of their original Tomorrowland exhibits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic video! It makes me want to dance all around my kitchen (though I doubt there's enough space, and I don't have a top hat!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great vids! Im pretty sure Iv seen the bits of the first Kitchen in the Opening of "The Stepford Wifes" At at Disney Land I wonder what became of all of that house?! Maybe one super lucky Californian bought it before they tore it down and its still out there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mick - the Monsanto house was dismantled in the mid-late 1960s when it was no longer the house of the future, only outdated. I believe that they had to cut it apart because of how strong the plastic was. I'll have to check on that though, Pam did a post on it one time - I'll dig through her archives and find her post.

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.