Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Surprise Find!



So, I was moving furniture around a couple of nights ago, after hanging the green drapes in the living room to live with them for a while.  I was working on rearranging the furniture and moved the Majestic console.  I hadn't looked inside it since I refinished the cabinet (I don't use the radio, just use it as a piece of furniture).  Anyway, I had completely forgotten about the stack of ten 78 records that were in the radio when I bought it.  Once I found them again, I remembered putting them back in the radio when I was finished with it.




Here's a sampling of the titles:

White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Silent Night - Bing Crosby
Silver Bells - Bing Crosby and Carol Richards (don't know that I've heard of her)
Jingle Bells - Bing Crosby and The Andrews Sisters
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - Jimmy Boyd
Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Gene Autry and The Pinafores

What a nice surprise!  Now if I just had a working record player...

Mrs. Close (the previous owner of the radio) and I have one thing in common - we're both Bing fans!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, great find indeed. I think you should look in to getting that console fixed. You NEED a record player. How do the drapes look? Good idea to live with them for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you could make candy bowls out of them like Mick did. Oh, but I think he asked us not to copy him . . . Yup, you've got to get the record player part fixed, what with all that Bing-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like finding a $20 bill in the coat your wore last winter. Nice surprise!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Andrew Sisters and Bing Crosby! Hands down my favorite 40's singers! I too have Gene's Rudolph on a 78! Your so lucky! "Whie Christmas on a 78 (if its Decca, or Columbia) Is worth quite a bundle! And Yes You do need a player im sending you somthing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic find! I love the old 78s!

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.