Monday, October 26, 2009

My New Toy


I know, I know, this isn't mid-century.  It wasn't even thought about during the mid-century time period.  I love my desktop computer, it has a great Intel Core 2 Quad processor, 6GB of RAM and a 640GB hard drive.  I bought it in May from Lenovo, and it is every bit as good as the HP that I replaced.  I loved that old HP, and it was an amazing system when it was new in 2004.

Anyway, I have never felt the need to have a laptop.  I can get so much more computer out of a desktop for the same money.  I have been looking for a netbook to take with me when I travel, and to the conferences that I attend each year.  I went to Best Buy's website to look at them and came across two laptops for only $50 more.  I know that they are both bargain-basement laptops but for just a little bit more money than the netbook, I was able to get a full-size keyboard, a larger hard-drive, a DVD drive, and it came with the new Windows 7.  So far I love Windows 7 - I run Vista on my desktop, which took a bit to get used to, but 7 seems like a natural transition.

Anywho, my choice came down to an Acer with and AMD Athlon processor and a 160GB hard drive or the Toshiba.  I made a trade off with this choice.  I have never had an AMD processor, and wasn't sure that I wanted to start with one in my laptop.  Maybe in my next desktop.  The AMD came with Win 7 64 bit, which I prefer, while the Toshiba came with Win 7 32 bit.  In the end I chose the Toshiba.  I like it so far.  You can check it out on the Best Buy website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.