Friday, October 30, 2009

Some Vintage Magazines



The work day was winding down, and I was on my own without the other person I carpool with.  I could take my time on the way home.  What should I do?  The bug hit me.  There were a couple of antique shops that I hadn't visited yet, and both were on my way home.  Now looking forward to the trip home, I first stopped at a small shop in the town that I teach in.  I found a great vintage RCA portable TV (probably a 19") with a black metal case and white plastic on the front.  It was in almost pristine condition.  I don't know if it worked or not.  I wasn't willing to give the $50 they wanted for it to find out.  I did find, however, some great magazines.  I was able to pick up 8 American Home magazines from 1948-1949 and a Saturday Evening Post from December 15, 1956.  They have some great advertisements that I want to scan and post on Flickr.  However, a new scanner is in order, as I discovered when I tried to start scanning my 1960 Wards catalog.  The scan function on my printer, which is 5 years old, is not compatible with Windows Vista.  Grrr...haven't tried it with Windows 7 on my laptop yet, but I doubt that it would work with Win 7 if it doesn't work with Vista.  You'll get to see more when I get a new printer/scanner.

I found a few more things at another shop, including some great glasses.  Eventually I'll add them to the blog as well.

1 comment:

  1. The hats on the people on the Saturday Evening Post cover are sooooo wonderful. I would die for the red pillbox. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Halloween music--great choices!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.