Thursday, October 15, 2009

Try Dr. Pepper Hot



One of my earliest mid-century finds is this "Try Dr. Pepper Hot" carafe.  I stumbled across this at a local flea market.  I had never heard of having Dr. Pepper hot, let alone a carafe like this.  My intrigue with this find won out and it came home with me.  I think I paid somewhere in the $10 - $15 range for it, but I'm not sure.  It has been in my collection for 10 plus years now, and although I don't search for these too often, I haven't stumbled across another carafe.  I have found mugs and advertising for hot Dr. Pepper on the internet though.  I haven't been curious enough to try this yet, as I usually don't enjoy hot drinks, occasionally some hot tea and once in a while hot chocolate or warm milk.  So, if you have tried hot Dr. Pepper, let me know how it is!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That's so funny! I just watched Blast from the Past a few days ago and Christopher Walkin's character drank hot Dr. Pepper! I had not heard of it until seeing the movie and now I read your post. That's too funny. I want to try it. Have you seen that movie? If not you should there are wonderful vintage items all through out it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had friends from East Texas who said they used to buy hot Dr. Pepper to drink at football games. They said it was delicious. Sounds like a waste of good Dr. Pepper to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Maria! I can't bring myself to ruin a can to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had computer issues for over a week, but now they're resolved and I'm catching up with my favorite mid-century sites/blogs. I'm really hip to this carafe. I have my grandmother's 1965 15pp."Cookin' with Dr. Pepper" cookbook. I have to admit, I have been curious enough to want to try hot Dr. Pepper, but I draw the line at Bean Dip a la Dr. Pepper (p.3) and Festive Meatloaf (p.5).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in TX and as a kid at our local Christmas in the park, they always served hot DP with lemon. I don't like DP, but that was always so good. Maybe it is a TX thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a Yankee transplanted to the South (and a Dr. Pepper fan), and I definitely think hot DP was a Southern thing, as I certainly never heard of it in all my years in California and Massachusetts.

    Another Southern thing that sounds bizarre but is SO WORTH trying is using Dr. Pepper as a pork marinade or brine. Brining a whole pork shoulder or fresh ham in CocaCola is a well-known method (even the fastidious cooks on 'America's Test Kitchen' recommend it), but using Dr. Pepper is even better!

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.