Sunday, March 28, 2010

Estate Sale Treasures

Saturday found me going to an estate sale (auction) in a town about an hour away.  I don't normally travel this far to go to a sale, but it involved family of a co-worker, and the lure of what might be found in the estate of a 93 year-old woman got the best of me.  I had to go!

So, here's what I picked up:


This is just like the two orange lamps that I inherited from my grandma.  My orange ones used to have cool shades like this, but they were so rotten that they were coming apart at the slightest touch.  The great thing about these lamps is that there is a bulb in the glass base that makes it glow to be used as a night light.  The green matches another lamp that I have in the living room. $4.


This beautiful vintage glass compote with red trim also caught my eye.  Not sure what to do with it.  I may end up reselling it if I get a booth.  I think that I could do okay on this $8 piece.


I loved this little made in Japan oil and vinegar set.  Still have the original corks with wooden handles.  $2.


I always enjoy these colored base glass pitcher and glass sets when I come across them.  This poor set has seen much use, most of the gold trim is gone.  Still, there are not chips or nicks in any of them.  These might go for resale as well.  $7.


Plates, plates, and more plates.  The owner must have had plates hanging all over the walls.  These had been on the wall so long without being cleaned that they are sticky and cause my fingers to turn brown and sticky when I handle them.  Sounds like I'll need to clean them up.  Definitely not my style, I bought these just because I thought I could probably make money on them and nobody else would bid on them.  $1 per plate, all the ones in the photo above and the following three photos.  Some are matched sets, some are singles.


Finally, I bought a box of old sheets to use for rags.  Where else can you get a box of rags for $2?  These boxes are usually fun to dig through when you get home because there is almost always some kind of treasure that was thrown in there.  I found a bunch of hand made pot holders.


I have no clue what the four sided one in the upper right of the second picture is for.  The strawberry is kind of neat.

Also in with them were these two things:


A fun chicken that stands up.  No clue what it's for either, and a girl with two detachable potholders.

Have a great Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. Michael, a nice long soak in hot water and Dawn dishwashing detergent will make your plates wipe/rinse clean.

    I think the chicken is an Easter toy/decoration. You put a plastic egg filled with candy inside. A lady in our church makes them for all the kids each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. iv got to say, that color green the glass globe on the lamp is, looks REALLY good aginst your Turquoise walls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the red glass that you picked up. I have the complete wine set, the candle holders and this huge bowl that I have filled with hearts now. I adore red,lol. You got some great stuff...

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.