Monday, March 29, 2010

My Favorite Piece of Artwork


This painting dates to approximately 1932.  It is my favorite in my whole house, and I have it hanging in my bedroom above my TV where I can easily see it.

This painting was made by my grandma.  The back of the picture has the following written in pencil "Carol Dean Palmer, Liberal, MO, Age 12."  I am still amazed that a 12 year-old could create a painting like this.  My sister has the same painting, only Grandma made it in a winter scene.  My sister's is all in blues and whites.  It's very attractive as well.

I'm going to make a guess that my love for being creative comes from Grandma.  My mom has the same talent and made several really neat things when she was in school.  Some of my favorite classes in college were my art classes.  I took so many ceramics classes that I was told that the only way to enroll in any more would be to start a degree in art.  That didn't happen, but it was a great way to get those elective credits out of the way.

So now, my question comes to all of you.  Do you have pieces of art in your home that a family member created?  It might not be a painting, maybe it's something ceramic, or maybe a member of your family made jewelry, or maybe it is something else.  I find these to be the most important and valuable things in my home.  I may like the rest of the stuff in my home, but in the end it's just "stuff" these family pieces are the real treasures.

7 comments:

  1. No one in my family (other than me) is that kind of artistic. I wish the photo was a little brighter so we could see more detail, but it still looks incredible and amazing that it was done by a 12-year old!!! I do have lots of crafty things that Mom made over the years that I treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noo! I can't see the picture! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! It's showing up now. Must have been a glitch at my end. That's fantastic! I can't believe a 12 year old painted it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful painting. My siblings are both very artistic as was my dad. I took after my mom. Not a lick of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle from IowaMarch 30, 2010 at 9:45 AM

    Yes! My grandmother crocheted, and I framed a piece that she had not finished in an old glass fronted kitchen cabinet door from her house. It's beautiful and my favorite piece of "art".

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous painting! Your grandmother was really talented. My mom also painted as a young woman and I have a few of her small oil paintings. Thay are a great reminder of her and always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome painting Michael, what a treasure. I don't have any paintings by my own family members, but do collect vintage paint by numbers, usually painted by some unknown someone from somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.