Thursday, March 18, 2010

Is the Final Product in Sight?

I have Friday off, as we have Parent-Teacher Conferences this evening.  My plan for my day off?  Finish the bathroom!  Here is my chosen color scheme, along with the flooring that I have chosen, and a picture of what I have already done to the vanity and counter tops.  I hope that my vision works out well!

 
This is the bathroom when I looked at the house at the beginning of July, 2006.  Please don't yell at me for the toilet seat being up, there isn't a toilet seat at all.  The previous owner did a pretty good job hiding all the problems in here.  The bathroom still has the original toilet, sink, and tub, as well as the original counter top.  Unfortunately, the sink is beginning to rust, the counter top glue has bit the dust and it's bubbling up, and the original plastic wall tile was removed and replaced with this awful, ugly pine bead board.  After living here, I have learned that moisture behind the tile is most likely the reason that the tile had to be replaced.  Too bad I had to go in and fix everything correctly, since it was all just covered up before I bought the house.


Here is the update that I made to the vanity last fall.  Before deciding to restore the bathroom to be period correct, I was planning on a major update.  I had already purchased the materials to update this area when I changed my mind.  I was not going to let those beautiful black granite tiles go to waste!  I did purchase the anodized aluminum trim from Schluter Systems to give the feeling of the original aluminum trim that was on the laminate counter.  I have also trimmed out the flat slab doors to make them look like they are recessed panel doors.  Believe me, if you had lived with the doors the way they were before, you would have done the same thing.  The vanity was very sturdy, but it wasn't attractive, even back in the 1950s.  It was just cheap.  I love the mahogany stain with the black and aluminum.


Here's the flooring that I have purchased.  It's plain old sheet vinyl, but I think the gray will go well with what I am doing.  It doesn't look well with the colors in the pic below, but when holding the chips up to the actual piece of vinyl that's in my garage, it matches better.


Here are the colors that I have chosen.  I can't afford to retile the bathroom, as I had really wanted to, so I'm going to have to make do for now with the ugly bead board.  The bead board will become the light gray you can see on the wall in the background, the trim in the room will be the dark gray trim that you see on the trim here, and the light blue on the wall in the foreground will be used on the drywall above the bead board.  If it goes as well as the picture in my mind, I think that it will work out well.

Here's a picture of my inspiration so that you can get a general idea of where I'm headed, only with my own twist.  I know the blue is more aqua / green, but I'm wanting the blue.  If my idea doesn't work out, I can always repaint!

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you! As I always Say 'Bliss is just a can of paint and a roller away' :) Cant wai tto see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me to get painting on my living room! Good luck! Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your color choices and what you did with the vanity! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooooh, I can't wait to see the finished product. It's lookin' great, what a load of work. Ummmm, hey, who did you think was going to yell at your for having the toilet seat up? ;)

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.