Sunday, March 14, 2010

This Week's Finds

Earlier this week I went to my favorite little junk shop on the square.  I found a few treasures, including the following:


Two partial rolls of vintage wallpaper.  There is still a decent amount of paper left in each roll.  A steal at 25 cents per roll.


Two vintage Foley glass-top juicers.  These little aluminum juicers were in good vintage condition, and another bargain at 49 cents each.

Yesterday I decided to go up to a flea market on the square that I never find any good stuff at.  But, time was short, and I needed to get out of the house for a little bit, so I went up to look around.


I actually found a couple of finds.  This pair of Sexton wall hangers is dated 1969 with the number 151 also stamped on the back.  Looks to me like they'll hold votive candles, making them a pair of candle sconces.  Now I'm on the lookout for a couple of vintage red glass votive candle holders to use on them.  A bargain, in my opinion, at $5 for the pair.


I also found this vintage kitchen light globe / shade.  I have absolutely no idea what to do with this.  It won't fit any of the light fixtures in my house.  Do any of you have any suggestions?  I bought it, even having no use for it, as it was priced at an unbelievable 15 cents!

I have come to the realization that I have a growing amount of vintage items that I have no use for.  My house is full!  I think that I'm going to have to sell some of it.  I was going to put a lot of it in a garage sale, but it isn't really garage sale stuff.  I don't want to put vintage glassware and the like in a garage sale.  I'm thinking I might need to get a booth at a flea market / antique mall.  I'm not too big on the idea of eBay or Etsy as I have absolutely no time to get things to the post office.  I work out of town and the post office is usually closed when I leave for work and when I get home.  Plus, I'd be terrible at figuring out shipping costs.  I'd rather just put it all in a booth somewhere.  I'll have to give this a little more thought.

Have a great Sunday!

5 comments:

  1. Michael, Have you joined the New blog "Trade ya?" the MidCentury Madness has started?! You could put some of the things you done want up and trade with other bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mick, I have thought about that, but my goal is really to get rid of some stuff, not replace it with other stuff. Plus, I'd like to get a little bit of my money back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, 25 cents each for the wallpaper? Jealous!!!

    I agree completely about the whole ebay thing. I quit my job about two years ago and had to live off selling some of my prized junk on ebay. I wanted to keep doing it on the side after going back to my horribly lame job, but it is just too hard to get to the post office, and I'm also horrible at estimating shipping since I don't have a scale. I always toy around with the idea of opening a booth at a flea market or antique store. It just seems like so much fun! We have an attic full of stuff though, and I try to hold on to most of it since my real dream has always been to open my own store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm - I could see goldfish swimming around in the light. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. The manager at my local Habitat for Humanity store calls those kitchen light fixtures "layer cakes," and they do look a lot like cakes, don't they? When it comes to what to do with your "layer cake" and other things, I think a flea market booth can be just like selling online -- a great experience for some, a bad move for others, it just depends on each person's knowledge, amount of time, and so on.
    I attempted a booth for a few months, and, I admit, I wasn't experienced, I just happened to have more stuff than I really wanted, and a booth sounded fun. I got taken advantage of by the owner of the flea market and some of his friends who had booths there. At first they acted really friendly and helped me with pricing, and I thought I had found a bunch of great people to learn from. But, they hadn't been honest with me, and I wasn't savvy enough to realize it. When I was gone, they bought my good stuff and put it in their booths at higher prices. They then made more money off of "my stuff." They were all retired, and hung out at the flea market all day. If they saw a customer looking at something in an unmanned booth, they would steer the customer to their booth to see a similar item. They did encourage me to be there as much as possible, to do the same thing. But, I had a job and couldn't be there all day. So, my lack of presence made me a regular target. Once, the owner actually gave away a coffee table out of my booth! It was cheap, with just a $10 price tag on it, nothing much, but still, it was my merchandise. He had sold a couch to someone, and just gave them my coffee table to go with it! When I found out, and protested, he said it was good customer relations for us all to "work together" like that. I made him pay me the $10, and he was ticked off at me. I think that since he had taken advantage of my inexperience at the beginning, he figured he could get away with anything. Once I caught on to him and his friends, they quit being my "pals." I can't believe all flea markets operate that way; I think I just ran into a bunch of hustlers who saw I was an easy target. (And I don't think I've ever run into another flea market where that many booth operators hovered around so much.) I thought of getting a booth somewhere else, but, I realized I would need to spend more time at the whole process -- going to yard sales and auctions to acquire more stock, as well as becoming more knowledgeable about collectibles, values, and so on. I decided I had other hobbies I was more interested in. Michael, you already are much more knowledgeable than I was, and spend more time at the collecting aspect, so, you may do much better at the selling side of it. Don't take my story as the be-all and end-all. I am not saying don't do it. I am saying, this is what can happen when you don't know what you are doing. I'm glad I can smile now to remember how naive I was -- at the time I was really frustrated!

    ReplyDelete

All comments on posts older than 7 days will go into moderation until I can approve them. Thank you for your patience and understanding! Comments are not to be used to advertise your business or personal Craigslist advertisements. These will be DELETED. Thanks.